Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cereta...

I like her style. I will openly admit that I am attracted to style, whether it's on a garment, in a movie, or written by the pen, I like things with style (sometimes too much for my wallet's good). I really like Cereta's writing style because like she says time is a necklace, I think her letters are necklaces. She strings her words together, like beads, in a way that all of the pieces make an elegant and artfully tasteful piece. It doesn't just hang there, but can be enjoyed and aesthetically appealing.

I don't know how I feel about her disdain for women who concern themselves with fashion. I can see how she would need to fight the mindless consumption of trends and over intensity in the quest for beauty, but I think fashion is another art (think of line, silhouette, color, tonality, emotion, flow, feeling, etc.). I think that an artist (which I consider Cereta to be) should appreciate fashion. Trends and mindless fashion (for example, Louis Vuitton, Uggs)* do not inherently contain pieces of art and must be carefully inspected. I understand Cereta's anger at women who are entirely consumed by looks and perceptions, but please, accept fashion as an art. It seems to me that she was quite proud of the garments she produced- why else would she give the reader such a detailed account of her work?

*there are worthwhile pieces from these labels, just scarce in number... don't hate me please...


(disclaimer, this is from not a renaissance viewpoint)
a little blend of art and fashion

Galliano in galleries?

fashion fight!

how convenient for our class, florence and the f-word

I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment