Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Failing Attempt at Sonnetry

A Petrarchan Sonnet is a poem with a specific composition of an octet and sestet, and specific rhyme scheme.  The first 8 lines makes the octet.  The last 6 lines makes the sestet.  The octet and sestet may be talking about the same subject, but in a different sense.  For example the octet may be foreshadowing the subject, while the sestet reveals the subject, or the octet deals with physical nature of the subject, while the sestet deals with its spiritual nature and so on and so on.........

rhyme scheme is as follows:
a b b a a b b a c d c d c d *
*the sestet has a variety of rhyme schemes, check out the form here at Basic Sonnet Forms.

So here is my first sonnet!


To others you must seem aloof
And many a time I've called you crazy
As very often you are lazy
And even though you are a goof
I cannot offer much more proof
The evidence of my love for you is hazy
But you're sweet and innocent like daisies
So down to your level I will stoop
To pet my silly furry cat
No matter how you annoy me so
And even though you've gotten fat
I let your roam to and fro
I hate when you claw on this and that
But I will never let you go.

Dedicated to my somewhat unintelligent, but ever endearing cat, Lucy.




2 comments:

  1. I think you did a very nice job. It is hardly a failure. You really seemed to capture the essence of your cat. I like it.

    ReplyDelete