Saturday, February 14, 2009

Translation Paper

I am feeling considerably challenged as I dive into our short paper on translation.  I am still confused...  How do you make an argument about two translations without using something as a base?  I really want to use art, since I am writing on the Inferno and it's such a visual text, and my natural inclination is that I need to look at two different works of art and compare/contrast them in order to make an argument about translation using the poem as a foundation.  I know if we choose the art option it needs to be alongside the text, so I'm struggling to find and argument using just those two.  With some of the images  I have found that correlate to specific cantos, I am thinking I can talk about the different moods and spirits each emotes, but then again I'm still stuck with the translation bit because I feel like I have to say that each is a translation of the original...  Thus, I have ended up being lost in translation, and maybe you can find me in either the Hesburgh or Cushwa library.

Is anybody else feeling confused?

No comments:

Post a Comment