Wednesday, April 22, 2009

straight up trippin

I have gone over my artistic statement about 68435687635739157 times trying to make sure I did it correctly. I think the more I went over it, the more I ruined it. I became so concerned with covering the points in our handout and not just expressing my purpose... It doesn't help to constantly stare at the computer screen, I think that melts my brain even more.

What is it about the artistic statement that has me straight trippin? (haha ok I know that's not how I talk but that's how I feel right now, reduced to base language) I think it's because I've only done several artistic statements before, and they have only been about one page in length. I also think I'm tripped up over the statement because the more I read through my work and review it, the less objective I become. It's like the paper lives in my mind, and I know exactly what I am trying to say, and it makes perfect sense to me, but I can't see it as it is written in black and white. It's like my brain auto-corrects what's on paper, and I can't objectively look at my it. This is why you always need a second set of eyes for editing, because they look at the paper exactly as it is written.

On a different note, when I was googling artistic statements, I came across a website that gave artists the objectives of an artistic statement. The usual suspects ensued..... what do I want to say? How is this different from other works of art? Why is this important? Why did I do this? But the really interesting part of the website was a quote that reads as follows

"Too much self-analysis lets the air out of your creative balloon." Edward Betts

Now, if that's not ironic because of the use of balloons, I don't know what is (remember I talked about a balloon theory in my presentation). And, it's interesting because it goes back to conversations we've had about expressing yourself in a dignified manner and not giving away too much information. I think the statement also touches on the fact that too much of anything, self-analysis in particular, can send you on a head trip. I found this quote on Nita's art blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment