Wednesday, April 1, 2009

woooww Luther wow

So much for that "encyclopedic" style of writing.  Chapter 3 offers a lot of details about Luther's sex life that I'm not quite sure would have made it into an encyclopedia... 

I find it interesting that Luther thinks that the act of making love is fulfilling God's wishes by procreating.  I am wondering if he decided that having sex with your spouse (or someone else's if yours is impotent) was a good thing to do because he was human and had the urge.  So many religious-focused people we have read about before have emphasized restraining physical desires while Luther is saying the opposite.  

This bio has taken a turn!  I can't say now that I'm attached, but it has definitely caught my attention and made me crinkle my face a time or two.  I never knew who the Lutheran church came from and this book is telling me things about the man that I would have never thought.  But I can't say it's a bad thing, it's important to know that people are human and have hemorrhoids and nocturnal emissions!  Seriously!

...okay I'm done I can't talk about that anymore eww...

1 comment:

  1. To return to your presentation and the relationship between these ideas an early anatomical theory, sex did have a natural place in maintaining proper health. Though, it reminds me of a fable in itself: not too much (this would make men effeminate) and not too little (repression is never good).

    ReplyDelete