Thursday, April 16, 2009

Surprise Surprise!

For my second paper I am working with Cereta, which is shocking, I know. I am conversing with her as Petrarch did with Augustine in My Secret.

Thinking about the questions for her to ask me, and thinking about my responses has been quite a trip. It really requires a lot of self exploration, and not just pondering, but reeeaaallly questioning myself.

I find myself being quite self-conscious because I still want to present myself honorably, but I want to be truthful. I'm also trying to emulate Cereta's pretty style. I can't think of another word to describe her style, it just seems pretty to me. So this style-quest in a trip of it's own. I don't think Petrarch necessarily nailed Augustine's style or personality so I feel relieved thinking about that. Anyway, it's like going to psychotherapy because I'm thinking about my answers and then rethinking them and thinking is this really me or will this read well or is this right or is this how I want to sound and then of course just trying to put the right words in Cereta's mouth is arduous too.

In the name of self-analysis, I took a quiz on my level of confidence. My result is as follows

"YOUR RESULT: You are the queen of confidence.

You wrote the book on how to be confident. You are full speed ahead into your life quest, but just be sure it doesn't become over-confidence, which can be a turn-off."
hmm. Okay.

At any rate, I'm enjoying the assignment!

And on another note- I think I have the totally wrong Utopia book. Not that you can really have the wrong one, I mean there's probably only one Utopia written by a Thomas More, but mine is not the edition listed in the syllabus. My freaking fabulous seller never got the book to me and we conversed/argued back and forth and they ended up saying it was "lost or damaged during delivery." So I never got the right book and I bought the most readily available one and of course the page numbers don't match up, I don't know if the letters are the same, and Book I is twice as long as the amount of pages on the syllabus... Plus there are still a lot of middle English words and phrases that are quite distracting. It's not totally translated. But can I complain for buying a $5.95 paperback edition? I guess I just did.


No comments:

Post a Comment