Thursday, April 23, 2009

Whatcha talkin bout Shakespeare?

I guess the reason I have never been swept up in Shakespeare is because I don't understand him. While reading his sonnets, I was constantly asking "what is he talking about?" The structure of his phrases is of course confusing, but I want to know, is he talking about
a woman
a friend
a season
a flower
is he serious
is this sarcastic
is this honest
is the subject real
is this a code word for something else
a specific incident
his imagination

Sonnet 116 caught my attention. For all of the unstable ground I tripped on while reading his sonnets, his point seemed clear to me in this one. Love cannot be altered or changed - it is what it is. "Love's not time's fool..." I guess I would have to fall truly in love to find out if what he's saying is true. Do you believe that love is not time's fool? And if love is so stable, the ever fixed mark, why are relationships so frustrating? Is he saying that we are lost without love? Maybe, a frustrating relationship is devoid of real love...

IDK. I'll let you know if/when I find out.

3 comments:

  1. Is love found only in the context of a romantic relationship? And what makes love "true" or "real"? Is love an emotion or a decision?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to think that the love Shakespeare describes in Sonnet 116 is found in a friendship and a romantic relationship.

    I think that "true" love is selfless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.. is this a code word for something else. I have often wondered this.

    ReplyDelete